The Triwizard Tournament was a magical contest held between the three largest wizarding schools of Europe: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Durmstrang Institute, and Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, each school being represented by one Champion. Selected Champions compete in three tasks — traditionally judged by the Headmasters or Headmistresses of the competing schools — designed to test magical ability, intelligence, and courage. Champions competed for the honour and glory of winning the Tournament, for the Triwizard Cup, and a monetary prize. The first Tournament was held sometime around the late 13th century.
The Tournament was renowned for being extremely dangerous: champions have died while competing and was discontinued at some point in or after 1792, due to the high death toll.
In 1994, the Tournament was revived with restrictions in place in an attempt to stop potential deaths. One of these restrictions was that all applicants had to be over the wizarding age of majority (which is 17), or else they would not be allowed to apply to be Champion. The 1994 Triwizard Tournament is famous for having had four competing Champions, and for also having ended in tragedy with the death of Cedric Diggory and for the Rebirth of Lord Voldemort. No subsequent tournaments occurred due to the death of Cedric.
Kedgeree Three Rice Trials
- Frying Pan
- 4 Eggs
- 100 g Jasmine Rice
- 100 g Red Rice
- 100 g Wild Rice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 100 g Bacon Lardons diced
- 0.5 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Parsley to serve
- Boil a saucepan of water to boil and cook the eggs for 6-8 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Peel the eggs then halve and set aside.
- Bring three saucepans of water to the boil. Add the Jasmine Rice to one, the Wild Rice to another and Red Rice to the last. Add slightly more water to the Jasmine Rice halfway through cooking. Once all cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and lardons for 5 minutes until golden. Stir in the cayenne pepper and cook for a minute longer.
- Combine the three rices and stir through the meat mixture. Serve in bowls with the eggs and some chopped parsley.